Re: now i've done it ..

* Per Lejontand (pele@acc.umu.se) wrote:
> Hiya ..
>
> gotten into trouble again I have :) Ive compiled gnome and is trying to set
> up an environment. But the freakiest things keeps happening to me.
>
> First off, I dont get a default main-menu, add rightclicking on the panel
> (going up to "add main menu" gives me no menu at all. Instead i get an error
> message in my console:
>
> ** WARNING **: No system menus found!
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from (NULL) pointer to `GtkObject'
>
> Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtksignal.c: line 724 (gtk_signal_connect): assertion `object != NULL' failed.
>
> ** WARNING **: menu /lap/gnome-libs/1.0.15/share/gnome/apps/. does not exist (base is /lap/gnome-libs/1.0.15/share/gnome/apps, arguments are .)
>
> Although this might seem obvious, the gnome-libs distribution doesnt come
> with any sort of main-menu. Could someone point me to what part of
> gnome that comes with this nifty thing, and try telling me why gnome obviously
> looks in the wrong place for it ..
>
> Also, i am unable to add any applets ?! .. this one without any errormessage
> at all. Rightclicking and going "add applet" doesnt do anything at all, weird
> ill say.. weird ..

You have some big problems with prefix. When you compiled gnome, did
you specify any of the following?
--prefix={somedir}
--sysconfdir={somedir}
--localstatedir={somedir}
If so, did you do this the same for _all_ parts of gnome you compiled?

You copy of Gnome apparently thinks your prefix is
/lap/gnome-libs/1.0.15/ , therefore your datadir (where your menu
structure is stored) is /lap/gnome-libs/1.0.15/share/gnome/apps/.

I can't think you intended this.

It looks like you specified a prefix for gnome-libs when you compiled
it, maybe you used the current directory as a prefix? You then
compiled and installed gnome-core with a _different_ prefix directory.

You are not supposed to specify a different prefix for each component
you compile!

What is happening is that gnome-libs expects the menu to be in one
place, but gnome-core (which provides the menu contents) has put them
somewhere else.

>From the directory structure above, I'd bet money that you compiled
gnome-core with a prefix of /lap/gnome-core/1.0.9/ or something like
that. In this case you'll find your app menu safely tucked away in
/lap/gnome-core/1.0.9/share/gnome/apps

This _may_ be fixable using the new environment variable GNOME_PATH,
but it would be a massive mess.

My suggestion to you is to remove this copy of gnome (core, libs, and
whatever else you compiled in this manner), by running make uninstall
in the source dirs of each.

Then, compile them all with the same --prefix (default=/usr/local),
--sysconfdir (default=$prefix/etc) and --localstatedir
(default=$prefix/var).

A common prefix is /opt/gnome, you can then leave the other two
settings to look after themselves.

That should fix you up. I'm sure this stuff is described in the docs.

Tom.
--
    .^.     | Tom Gilbert, England | tom@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk |