Smaller Icons in panel

I just got the latest rpms from Dax and had a  question.  Is there
anyway to make the Gnome foot menu in the panel 24x24 instead of 48x48.
Basically I run gnome on a 800x600 laptop display and the icons are too
big.  I don't like the 48x48 icons.  I tryed to resize the
/usr/share/pixmaps/gnome-logo-transparent.png image and it made it
smaller.  But the icon are still takes up 48x48 pixels.  Is there any
way to get the "taskbar"(panel) for gnome to be smaller without using
auto hide? Just about 24 pixels high?

Thanks,
Michael