RE: Turning off Reboot/Halt in gdm

On 27-Oct-99 Manuel A. McLure wrote:
> That said, if your users have access to the power switch or cable, it's a
> moot point. It's probably better that they be able to shutdown/reboot the
> system "correctly" than just pull the plug...

        What we do in those situations is create a login that's
just for shutting down the system. If you added a configuration
variable like "ShutdownUser" that could be the login name of this
user, it would allow an ordinary user to shutdown the system
without giving him root access, but would prevent some random
clown who just happened to be in the area from doing it.

        Of course, the system's administrator would still have
to add this login, whatever it's called, and ensure that there
is a password.

Date: 29-Oct-99  Time: 13:42:58

Craig Orsinger                  (email: <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil>)
Logicon RDA
Bldg. 8B28                      "Just another megalomaniac with ideas above his
6th & F Streets                 station. The Universe is full of them."
Ft. Lewis, WA   98433                   - The Doctor