Re: Multiple gnome sessions

>>>>> "Sean" == Sean Legassick <seanl@informage.demon.co.uk> writes:

Sean> I'm trying to work out how to invoke one of several
Sean> gnome-sessions depending on context. What I really want is some
Sean> command line parameter to gnome-session that specifies a name
Sean> for the session. The session management options
Sean> (--sm-config-prefix etc) look like they might be what I'm
Sean> looking for, but I've tried playing with them and can't get what
Sean> I want.

Don't use the --sm-* options.
Instead just pass the name of the session on the command line.
E.g.,:

gnome-session $(hostname)

You can also interactively choose the session with
gnome-session --choose-session.

Putting the session name on the command line is great for power users,
but I'd like to choose a model for multiple sessions and integrate
code directly into gnome-session (with config in the control center)
so that "normal" users can have multiple sessions without hacking
.xinitrc (one goal of session management, imho, is that the user
should never have to hack .xinitrc).  I haven't given any real thought
to how this should look, and I unfortunately don't have the time to
implement it in the forseeable future anyway :-(.  Maybe somebody else
will.

Tom