Slightly offtopic, WM startup problem

ok, basics first.  RH 6.0, Xfree 3.3.5, october gnome, from source, and e
0.16 from source.  I finally made gnome compile and everything works as far
as I can tell.  My real problem is making gnome start properly.  I'm
generally running as a normal user.  I've tried editing ~/.xinitrc and
~/.Xclients, so that they just run exec gnome-session, and I've tried making
myself root, and editing /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients so that it just runs exec
gnome-session, but it's not quite right yet.  When I type startx, X starts
up properly, then starts TWM, then gnome-session.  I don't know why it's
starting TWM, but I'd be much happier if it would NOT do that.  E is set as
the WM for gnome in the control center.  Anybody know where I can go to fix
this?  Thanks,
	Greg