Re: Upgrading gnome

On 28 Oct, Daniel Hauck wrote:
> Gnome is a work in progress.  Of course everything under Linux seems to be a
> work in progress and Linux is mostly where gnome is used. (I do not mean to
> imply that other users are not using gnome.)

  I think I understand the idea of free software including the
implications on software development.

> With that in mind, I think it requires that you tollerate some
> inconveniences.  While it would be nice for upgrades (especially under RPMs)

  I tolerate inconveniences, but if I'am spending hours configuring
software (e.g. gnome) I would be very frustated if I had to do this
work (which is not by any means productive work) every time I install a
new version of this software.

  BTW: I want to upgrade gnome in the hope that this will fix some
erratic behaviour of gnome (which I attribute to the panel and gdm, like
losing its icons, menus, not allowing to logout etc.).

> should be supplied with scripting that will import your previous
> configurations and update them with whatever is current and such, but at the
> same time there's a bigger issue to consider:
>
> In the Microsoft world, everyone upgrades to the newest version when it
> comes out.  In general, people don't use all the features of Word95, let
> alone Word97 or Word2000.  Consider for yourself if the need to upgrade
> outweighs the inconvenience of having to reconfigure and customize your
> system each time you install an update.

  Let's not compare gnome/linux to Microsoft products, but to other
good software, e.g. XEmacs and LaTeX. Of course, every time a new
version comes out there exists the possibility that some of the old
documents (TeX-styles) and config-files (.emacs) may no longer work.
But I am not a priori forced to delete them! And, in the case of
problems I can resolve the specific problem and need not drop all my
previous work. I think that`s a fundamental difference.

> So be thoughtful and enjoy all this cool stuff.  If fixing the problem helps
> you to become more of an expert, is that so bad? :)

  I really thing gnome is cool, but shouldn't it be a productive
environment? And spending hours on configuration (and I do not mean
downloading and installing themes ;) isn't what I would could
productive.

  Regards,
  		Oliver