Re: Upgrading gnome

Gnome is a work in progress.  Of course everything under Linux seems to be a
work in progress and Linux is mostly where gnome is used. (I do not mean to
imply that other users are not using gnome.)

With that in mind, I think it requires that you tollerate some
inconveniences.  While it would be nice for upgrades (especially under RPMs)
should be supplied with scripting that will import your previous
configurations and update them with whatever is current and such, but at the
same time there's a bigger issue to consider:

In the Microsoft world, everyone upgrades to the newest version when it
comes out.  In general, people don't use all the features of Word95, let
alone Word97 or Word2000.  Consider for yourself if the need to upgrade
outweighs the inconvenience of having to reconfigure and customize your
system each time you install an update.

Administrators face this every day of their careers.  So apply a little
thought and consideration before hand.  Gnome is being written by people so
you cannot expect perfection at all times, but you choose how you administer
your own systems and how often.  Personally, I don't always practice what I
preach, but then I don't always mind a "fresh start" when rebuilding a
computer I just trashed with another "upgrade."  (Take for example my recent
question about Enlightenment)

So be thoughtful and enjoy all this cool stuff.  If fixing the problem helps
you to become more of an expert, is that so bad? :)