Re: Advocacy report [part 2]

Paul wrote:

> . mounting/unmounting - yes this old chestnut is still with us. In a way
> the automounting on double click of the floppy icon makes this worse
> because users are unaware that they've even mounted the floppy so don't
> relaise they have to unmount it after use. I've had a little play with
> autofs but so far have been unable to make it work. Any tips or advice
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I did wonder if it would be possible for gmc to unount the drive as soon
> as the last window on the floppy was closed?

psst wrote some time ago how to achieve this, basically it depensds on
the autofs Linux automounter, he suggested putting on /etc:

/etc/auto.master and /etc/auto.misc

In auto.master, you put:
/mnt/misc /etc/auto.auto -o codepage=850 --timeout=1

This means "use /mnt/misc for automatically mounting devices, and
after 1 second of innactivity, unmount the device".

Then in auto.misc, you put:

cd	-fstype=iso9660,user,ro,unhide	; this is /dev/cdrom
floppy  -fstype=vfat,user		; this is the floppy device

Then you use a auto-link setup (documentation is in the mc distro as
the file README.desktop), so that you create those symlinks in the
desktop to those directories.  That will get you automounting for
free.

I think this is worth pursuing.

btw, your document is very good.  Would you like to assemble all of
your hints in a "GNOME Administrators Handbook" of some sort, it seems
like you have done a great job, and keeping these details documented
seems like a very good idea.

best wishes,
Miguel.
--