Re: GNome slow on Linux Mandrake

Tom Tromey wrote:

> Paul> One behavior I've found out is that the logout button does not
> Paul> operate if gnome starts slow.
>
> This failure has been reported many times.  Offhand I don't remember
> the fix, but it is probably on bugs.gnome.org.
>
> I think removing the ICE directory in /tmp will do it, but that's just
> a guess based on a vague memory.
>
> Tom

I don't know about the logout button bit, but I did have the slow
startup problem that was solvable by deleting /tmp/.ICE-unix (On RH no
less). It seemed to be  gnome-session acting strangely. My hostname
resolved to an unreachable address because it's a laptop and I wasn't at
home. When .ICE-unix did not exist, everything worked just fine and
quickly. No errors. Otherwise, an strace of gnome-session would show it
failing to be able to mkdir() .ICE-unix. EEXIST, of course. After(?)
this the strace would further show gnome-session attempting to contact
the unreachable address that my hostname resolved to. This step was not
performed when .ICE-unix did not exist. Every program would then
complain of not being able to contact the session manager, resulting in
slow startup. This behaviour makes no sense to me. The easy solution was
to have my hostname locally resolve to localhost (127.0.0.1). No more
problem.

Disclaimer: This was several months ago, so the above could be out of
order, inacurate, outdated, or completely delusional.

--
Harold