Nasty surprise. Who is the culprit?

Installed RH 6.1 and October Gnome yesterday and I got a
nasty surprise.

If I put a cdrom in the drive or a floppy in the floppy drive
the drives are automatically mounted and the disks opened and
the contents displayed in gmc.

To make matters worse 2 icons are planted on the desktop, one for
the cdrom and one for the floppy (even though only one is in use).

1) I do not want any icons on the desktop
2) I do not use gmc (or any other graphical file manager)
3) I do not appreciate these Windows tricks

Using the drive mount applets on the panel and clicking to mount is
as far as I am willing to go. (If by any chance I wanted to use gmc
to scan the contents I could then CHOOSE to do so).
I want to control the mounting.

Who is guilty of this aberration: RedHat or Gnome (or both in collusion)?
Why is it not mentioned in the documentation?
(at least I haven't been able to find it up to now).

Is there some simple (Gnome) configuration setting to undo this?
(again if there is I haven't been able to find it up to now).
And if it is not there it should be!

Alexander

Alexander Volovics
Dept of Methodology & Statistics