Re: Nasty surprise. Who is the culprit?

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Alexander Volovics wrote:

> Installed RH 6.1 and October Gnome yesterday and I got a
> nasty surprise.
>
> If I put a cdrom in the drive or a floppy in the floppy drive
> the drives are automatically mounted and the disks opened and
> the contents displayed in gmc.
>
> To make matters worse 2 icons are planted on the desktop, one for
> the cdrom and one for the floppy (even though only one is in use).
>
> 1) I do not want any icons on the desktop
> 2) I do not use gmc (or any other graphical file manager)
> 3) I do not appreciate these Windows tricks
>
> Using the drive mount applets on the panel and clicking to mount is
> as far as I am willing to go. (If by any chance I wanted to use gmc
> to scan the contents I could then CHOOSE to do so).
> I want to control the mounting.
>
> Who is guilty of this aberration: RedHat or Gnome (or both in collusion)?
> Why is it not mentioned in the documentation?
> (at least I haven't been able to find it up to now).
>
> Is there some simple (Gnome) configuration setting to undo this?
> (again if there is I haven't been able to find it up to now).
> And if it is not there it should be!

Calm down and visit the control-center. :) The CD configuration capplet is
under the "Peripherals" section.

-- Elliot					http://developer.gnome.org/
The first thing a programmer needs to admit is that any program is by far
more complex than his own mind. Thats why he partitions it into neat
pieces and avoids complexity.