Gnumeric 0.39 problem -- undefined symbol _Py_NoneStruct

I compiled Gnumeric 0.39 without bonobo support.  After installing it, I
get a dialog whenever I start Gnumeric:
Unable to open module file:
/usr/local/lib/gnumeric/plugins/libpython.so: undefined symbol:
_Py_NoneStruct

When I hit OK to close this dialog, Gnumeric loads.  I checked, and this
file does exist and was installed at the same time as the rest of the
plugins.  I've never gotten this message before.  Can someone enlighten
me as to how I can fix it?  I remember seeing some messages during
compile about not finding a shared version of something related to
Python, but I don't have those messages handy now.  I'm not sure if it's
related.

Dan