Re: Adding apps to the panel

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Nils Holland wrote:

> Elliot Lee wrote:
> > Do:
> > ldd `which gnomepager_applet` | grep libORBit.so | awk '{print $3}' | xargs ls -l
> >
> > And then do 'rpm -qf filename' on the file that the symlink points to, and
> > if it's owned by the 0.5.0 package you're OK.
>
> Well, now I´m confused. I´ve just enterted the command you mentioned
> above and what did it say? Well, it said:
>
> /usr/local/lib/libORBit.so.0 -> libORBit.so.0.4.0
>
> I think this is right what you meant. As much as I can see from the
> output, the symlink points to a version lower than 0.5.0. And when I
> issue the rpm -qf command on that filename, it says that that file´s not
> owned by any package.

OK, you did 'rpm -qf /usr/local/lib/libORBit.so.0.4.0' and it said
nothing?

Oh hold up, now you say you installed ORBit from tarball, which is
contrary to what I understood earlier.

The problem with 0.5.0 was that the shared libraries called themselves
0.4.0. It looks like you shouldn't experience any bad side effects from
this, and 0.5.1 will have this fixed.

No clue how to proceed. All I can say is "good luck" :(
-- Elliot				http://developer.gnome.org/
The first thing a programmer needs to admit is that any program is by far
more complex than his own mind. Thats why he partitions it into neat
pieces and avoids complexity.