Problems with sound under October Gnome

I'm still having some problems getting sound to work on my machine.  I'm
running Red Hat 6.1, the October Gnome (everything in the 1.0.53
directory), Enlightenment, on a 350 MHz Pentium II with a Sound Blaster
Live! card.

My problem is that I only get sound for certain actions under Gnome.
For example, clicking the arrows that show/hide the panel makes the
'panel slide' noise.  However, clicking the 'Application minimize'
button on a window, nuking a window, selecting an item in the foot menu,
all make no sound.  I have 'Gnome Sound Support' and 'Sounds for events'
enable in the Gnome Control Center.  If I click the Sound Events tab in
the Control Center and look at what sounds are connected to different
events, everything looks correct.  If I highlight any event and click
the play button the sounds plays correctly.  But in real action, I don't
get sounds that I should be getting.

First off, sound worked fine under RH 6.0, Gnome 1.0.  The Sound Blaster
Live! card is not supported at all by RH, but there is a driver (sblive)
that can be downloaded from Creative Labs and kind of forced to work.
Then when I upgraded to RH 6.1 and Gnome 1.0.50, the sound driver would
no longer work.  Creative Labs compiles them for whatever kernel they
have and apparently it would no longer work with the 2.2.12-20 kernel
found in 6.1.  But Creative Labs had a new driver available (emu10k1)
that was supposed to work with the 2.2.10 kernel.  I downloaded that and
installed it as directed.  That seemed to work correctly - under RH 6.1,
Gnome 1.0.50.  I then needed to use Windows for a little bit, so I
rebooted into Windows did what I needed and rebooted into Linux.  Then
when I logged back in my sound was gone - completely.  After digging
around for a bit I found that I had accidentally deleted my soundcore.o
module when installing the Creative Labs driver.  Their directions said
to Unload the soundcore module which I mistakenly read as delete the
soundcore file.

At this point, I had asked a question on the gnome-list about the
October release and was informed that I had downloaded the wrong one.  I
should have downloaded the files in the gnome-1.0.53 directory.  So I
downloaded that and upgraded.

Then I grabbed a soundcore.o file of a machine here at work (That also
was running RH 6.1) and took it home and installed it.  My sound came
back, but only partially, as I've described above.  I then started
recompiling my kernel (to get to the point where you recompile the
modules) and after getting the moudles compiled, I copied the newly
compiled soundcore.o module into the /lib/modules/2.2.12-20/misc
directory, but sound is still operating the same way.

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to make sure I included everything
relevant.
Anyone have any ideas?