backspace not working in X-apllications

Hi All,

On my laptop (Dell latitude 266 CPi) running RedHat 6.0 with kernel 2.2.5-15
on a
i686 Pentium II (have I covered everything now? ;) I encounter the problem
that
my backspace-key works as a delete-key in my X-applications. At first I
thought it
was just Netscape but after some testing/searching etc I noticed it happened
in
all my X-applications.

I cannot seem to find where i can set the keyboard stuff apart from the
keyboard shortcuts
and the keyboard beep and things like that.

Maybe it isn't even a gnome-problem (if so: sorry)

Anybody knows this problem? Anybody knows how to solve this?

Thanx in advance!

Mark