Re: Gnome icons / adding applets to the pager

Nils Holland <nils@nightcastleproductions.org> writes:

> Hi!
> Fist of all, thanks to all of you who have helped me solve a problem
> installing GNOME on my SuSE 6.2 system. Itīs now properly working and I
> really like it. Again, thanks.
> Maybe some of you can now help me with another problem:
>
> I just installed a SuSE 6.0 (yeah, 6.0 and not 6.2 this time) system.
> Because I was limited on HD-space, I only installed the most basic
> packages. Because I also wanted to compile and run GNOME on that system,
> I also installed the packages which I thought would be needed by GNOME
> (like the various graphics-compression-libraries and so on...)
>
> Ok, I then got the October-GNOME tarballs on the system (in fact, I got
> all the files that can be found on the GNOME download-page, incl. all
> the libraries supplied there) and installed them the same way as I did
> on my SuSE 6.2 system. The good news: I can start GNOME and I can even
> run the control-center (which was my initial problem on SuSE 6.2, if you
> remember). The only problem that occurs now is the following:
>
> Some GNOME-icons arenīt there at all. Instead I can just see some
> scrambled grey/black squares. Also, all the icons that are visible (like
> the icons on the desktop) are surrounded by a black square. And last,
> but not least, there are no icons on my pager :-(.

I had a similar problem on my SuSE 6.1 system. It was caused by a too
old libpng, so the fix is basically to install a new libpng.

IIRC, the black squares can be cured by just recompiling (after make
distclean) and reinstalling imlib.

The scrambled icons are the stock icons and compiled into libgnomeui.
For some reason the convertrgb tool, which is used to 'compile' the png
files of the stock icons into a c-file, works without complaint even if
it is compiled without png support! Png support is not compiled in if
your libpng is too old. So you may get away with deleting config.cache,
running configure again and recompiling convertrgb and libgnoemui (make
clean; make in the respective directories).

HTH

--
Bernhard Herzog	  | Sketch, a drawing program for Unix
herzog@online.de  | http://www.online.de/home/sketch/