Gnome Icon Status Report #10 -- Destination Zero

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gnome Icon Status Report
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
as of October 17th, 1999
by mawa

WHAT'S GOING ON?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We're still looking for an icon for Eye of Gnome. Look at the last
report for details. I've been told to announce that GnomeCard, too,
needs a better icon. The one they use at the moment is not of the
recommended 48x48 size.

Through the wondrous gdk-pixbuf infrastructure, Gnome will soon fully
support the alpha channel in pixmaps that have got one wherever
possible. However, it is possible that places will remain where the
old 1-bit masks will be used. In your future icons, feel free to use
translucent areas, but be sure to test that your icons do not become
showstoppers when displayed without full alpha. For example, the
window panes in the Desk Guide icon should remain 100% transparent; it
would be cool to have them semi-transparent, but that would make them
appear grey wherever there is no alpha support.

WHAT HAS BEEN DONE:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The mailcheck applet has been given an icon;
the panel properties capplet uses gnome-panel.png now;
someone has added an icon for the odometer applet;
Another Clock has got an icon now, too;
so has the session properties capplet.

MISSING ICONS IN THE FOOT MENU:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Submenu icons:
- Applications
- Development (candidate might be in the making)
- Administration (candidate might be in the making)
- Settings (candidate available)

Games:
- gTuring (candidates available)

Internet:
- gftp (candidates in the making)

Settings Submenus:
- Multimedia (candidate in the making)
- User Interface Options

Settings:
- Gnome Edit Properties
(10) - Startup Hint

User Interface Options:
- Application Defaults
- MDI (candidate in the making)

Utilities:
- Text File Viewer (gless; candidate in the making)
- Gnome Penguin
- guiTAR
- GDict (candidate in the making)

MISSING ICONS IN THE PANEL CONTEXT MENU:

Main context menu:
- Swallowed Application
- Status dock

"Add Applet" submenus:
- Amusements

Amusements:
(20) - Sixty Four Bits

Clocks:
- Clock
- AfterStep Clock
- JBC Binary Clock

Monitors:
- SwapLoad
- NetLoad (candidate in the making)

Network:
- WebControl
- URL Collector

Utility:
- Mini Commander
- GDict (candidate in the making)
(30) - Where am I?
- GNotes!
- QuickLaunch
- Clipboard
- bug-applet

CONFLICTS
~~~~~~~~~
- Balsa and TkRat using same icon
- Go and Gwp using same icon
- Gnome PPP and Internet Submenu using same icon
- Sound properties, Multimedia submenu, GUMMA using same icon
- Printer applet, GULP using same icon

SUBOPTIMAL ICONS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bitgrazer: has text, is not shaped
Glines: could use transparency
GnomeCard: as mentioned above: new one needed
HAL 2001: both the icon and the actual panel pixmap are not shaped and
          thus there's an ugly black square around them (we're working
		  on it)
Logview icon: metaphor is not international
Imlib Properties: Yet Another Blank Page Icon
Screem: is a logo
Utilities menus: Swiss Army knife could do with more contrast

Feel free to comment.

TOTAL
~~~~~

We're down to about 40 empty entries.

Thanks to all who have contributed.

REMARKS
~~~~~~~

Send any ideas, remarks or contributions to me as I have now got
official permission to add them to the CVS tree. Have a look at
GITHNYBM if you want to make icons.

Don't compress icons individually when submitting them to me. Either
pack several into a tarball or (preferred) send unpacked PNGs. Zipping
a single PNG file is pointless as PNG compresses internally.

If you've got any nice, big logos for Gnome applications, please
submit them; they'll be needed for Phase 2.

Please, please, please: If you want to make icons, make icons that are
mentioned in the report or in GITHNYBM as needed. Don't send me
another dozen of ZIP drive icons or of Adobe PDF icons. Thanks.

mawa <mawa@iname.com>
--
No point in hunting for conspiracies when incompetence, weirdness, and
random happenings are each adequate explanations.