Screen blanks when logging out of Gnome

Whenever I log out of Gnome/Enlightenment my screen goes blank.  My
video seems to go it power saving mode.  I still have access to the
command line, except that I can't see it.  If I type startx, then X
comes back normally.  I can also su to root and shutdown, so everything
is normal except video.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix
this?  I am running Redhat 6 + fixes with an ATI 3D Expression video
card and I
am using the SVGA server rather than the the Mach64 server (which I
couldn't get to work properly).  I upgraded to October Gnome but that
didn't change anything.

Gary R. Walsh                           grwalsh@interlog.com
Richmond Hill, ON                      http://www.interlog.com/~grwalsh