RE: Problems with the control-center

On 15-Oct-99 Nils Holland wrote:
> I wanted to have GNOME running on my system. So I went to the
> GNOME-website and downloaded the Tarballs. I installed them according to
> the information provided on the download page. To make everything work
> as good as possible, I installed the files in the order they were listed
> there.
>
> Ok, everything worked fine and in fact, GNOME is running (and I really
> like it).
>
> The only problem: I cannot start the control-center. Whenever I click on
> its icon, nothing happens. When I enter gnomecc in an xterm, I get the
> message
>
> // * **WARNING**
> You have no entries listed in either /opt/gnome/share/control-center or
> /home/nils/.gnome/control-center
>
> This means that either the control-center or GNOME is incorrectly
> installed * //
>
> I assume that control-center is a file that should contain some
> settings. I've searched for a file called like that in both of the
> directories mentioned above but I did not find it.
> *If* I'm right that it's a file and it's missing, I think the solution
> would be to create it (which would mean that its content would have to
> be valid). So, can anybody tell me what I should write *into* the file?
> (You can contact me privately if you want to, see below...)
>
> If control-center is not a file but a directory that should contain
> certain files or links, please also tell me what I have to do to make it
> work.

        /opt/gnome/share/control-center should be a directory with a
bunch of configuration files in it. I suspect something bad happened
during your installation of the control center software. Try (as root)
going back to your control center source directory and doing a:

        make install >& install.log

        and then examine "install.log" to see what errors occured.
Maybe you ran out of space on the /opt partition?

Date: 15-Oct-99  Time: 15:27:42

Craig Orsinger                  (email: <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil>)
Logicon RDA
Bldg. 8B28                      "Just another megalomaniac with ideas above his
6th & F Streets                 station. The Universe is full of them."
Ft. Lewis, WA   98433                   - The Doctor