Problems with the control-center

Hallo,
I hope that someone out there can maybe help me with a problem. Here's
what's up:

I wanted to have GNOME running on my system. So I went to the
GNOME-website and downloaded the Tarballs. I installed them according to
the information provided on the download page. To make everything work
as good as possible, I installed the files in the order they were listed
there.

Ok, everything worked fine and in fact, GNOME is running (and I really
like it).

The only problem: I cannot start the control-center. Whenever I click on
its icon, nothing happens. When I enter gnomecc in an xterm, I get the
message

// * **WARNING**
You have no entries listed in either /opt/gnome/share/control-center or
/home/nils/.gnome/control-center

This means that either the control-center or GNOME is incorrectly
installed * //

I assume that control-center is a file that should contain some
settings. I've searched for a file called like that in both of the
directories mentioned above but I did not find it.
*If* I'm right that it's a file and it's missing, I think the solution
would be to create it (which would mean that its content would have to
be valid). So, can anybody tell me what I should write *into* the file?
(You can contact me privately if you want to, see below...)

If control-center is not a file but a directory that should contain
certain files or links, please also tell me what I have to do to make it
work.

If my guesses what the problem is are totally wrong, help is even more
appreciated ;-)

Thanks in advance. If you don't want to post the answer to the
GNOME-mailing-list (maybe because it's too long or it has been asked a
hundred times) but you still want to offer me a couple of minutes of
your time, you can reach me at nils@nightcastleproductions.org.

Again, thanks for any help,
Nils
We'll never be as young as we are right now
(Jim Steinman) - http//www.jimsteinman.com