gnome-terminal crash: unable to fork

I broke something after "make uninstalling" all of the beta gnome 1.0.53 stuff,
and then installing rpms for Redhat on a RH6.0 system.  Everything works except
gnome-terminal.  If I try to launch it, the terminal window appears for a
split-second then disappears. When I quit the X-session, I can read the error
message in the console:

"unable to fork: Interrupted system call."

Eterm and every other X-based terminal emulator work fine, as do all other
gnome apps.  Only gnome-terminal appears to be broken.

Any suggesttions/help appreciated.  Otherwise, "October Gnome" and E 0.16 are
great together and a strong sign of how powerful the Linux desktop is
becomming.