Re: Integrate VMware and Gnome

Regis Duchesne wrote:

> > It doesn't seem like this would be too difficult.  AFAIK gmc gets launched when
> > you log in, and killed when you log out.  This would be where the prompt occurs
> > (or when gmc crashes and restarts).  I wonder if this could be achieved by
> > adding a startup program to gnome-session... (have no idea, just thinking out
> > loud).
> I definitely like this idea. Is there an easy to do this
> programmatically? I mean, where is the gnome-session information
> (state) stored?

Well, I don't know much about the workings of gnome-session, but I just experimented
with adding a Startup entry to the control center, and discovered that the entry
goes into $HOME/.gnome/session-properties, which is a text file.  So perhaps you
could write a script to add something to the list.  But now I'm not sure this is the
right place, because when I deleted the entry it wasn't removed from that file.
Maybe it's stored in the user's metadata.  It might be better to extend the Startup
Programs capplet (I think it's called session-properties-capplet) to do this from
the command-line, if it doesn't already do so.  If it doesn't, I'm sure the Gnome
people wouldn't mind a patch.  :-)  "That's what it's all about."

> If you have other ideas like that, I'm ready to listen to them :)))

I wish I had ideas more often.  ;-)

> > I think running gnome-config will tell you what you want to know, i.e.
> > gnome-config --prefix
> Unfortunately, I don't find it on my debian system. Is it something
> that has been added lately in the gnome distrib?

You probably saw Elliot's message that it comes with the gnome-libs-devel package.
 I didn't realize this, since I built gnome from source tarballs.

Dan