Re: Integrate VMware and Gnome

> > Are you using 'open' or 'fm-open'  I believe you must use fm-open, since I
> > think gmc tries that first, and by default fm-open for all executables is
> > to execute them.
> open. Does it make any difference if I use fm-open? What is the difference?
Unfortuently this is a poor explanation, but from experience I found that
the only way to overide the default action for things gmc wants to do, is
to use fm-open.  I believe I discovered this by trying open, seeing that
it didn't work, looking at the mc.keys, seeing it used fm-open, trying
fm-open and having it work.

> > hmm, no idea how to make it only do it on the first open, short of ugly
> > flags in the filesystem or some-such.
> Yep. But this assume that the user is able to run vmware without any
> icon. And then VMware detects that it is the first time the user runs
> it, and asks the user if it must create icons.
well if it is added to the menu they should be able to find it :)  I see
what you mean though, but don't have anything helpfull to tell you, sorry.

> Basically, I would like my installation program to be able to setup a
> hook, and that hook would be executed by any user at their next gnome
> logon.
as someone else suggested, you could add it to the list of programs that
are run at startup, but I don't know how to do that programatically.

> It seems other people on the list have suggested good things for that
> problem (gnome-config)
you know, when I think about it, I think I knew that gnome-config could
tell you that, i don't know why I didn't think about it before in this
context.

> > --prefix=/usr for all the things i compile.
> gnome-config seems to be the right answer here (but I don't find it on
> my system :( )
If you installed with rpms, do you have the -devel rpm installed too?  my
guess is that it is part of gnome-libs-devel.  If you installed from src
it should be there somewhere.

-chris

Christopher Rogers      http://www.darkcorner.net
gandalf@darkcorner.net  gandalf@pobox.com

night driving without headlights,
	wearing sunglasses too - (April Fool) Soul Asylum