Resources for gnome programs?

Hi all,

I just wondered if there is a set of resources like those used
in X programs to control widget characteristics (like those you
put into ~/.Xdefaults) available for gtk+/glib/Gnome programs.
It seems like there must be, since the themes seem to be able
to change stuff on the fly, but I can't seem to find a list of
what's available, other than setting geometry, fg/bg color,
and fonts or font families.

The particular problem I'm having is that I can't read the displays
in gedit and gxedit very well at the margins, because there
is no space and the letters run right against the left and right
edges of the display space.  I'd like to add a little margin there,
like you normally see in gterminal, for instance.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any pointers to how one can find adjustable
resources for gnome programs, or for gtk+ programs in general.
Thanks,

-Jan Martin