ESD and gnome-session

I attempted to compile from source last night, and managed to have no major
troubles until I got to mc (which would never compile, some problems with
slang, but Ill figure that out later).  After getting everything to my
liking, I fired up X using the following .xinitrc:

/usr/bin/enlightenment &
gnome-session

Everything works ok, EXCEPT sound.  ESD is running, but GNOME makes no
noises!  I have no trouble running XMMS, but GNOME doesnt seem to like it.
I carefully monitored the compilation of all relevant (at least what I
_thought_ was relevant) packages for any warnings converning ESD or
audiofile, and saw none.

I have the options to Start Sound and Enable sounds checked in Control
Center, but still no noises, any suggestions?

Also, I couldnt get libglade or libgtop to compile, in case it matters:)
The lack of libgtop required me to hack a few things in other packages to
get them to compile (like diskfree and such)

Cory Watson
Computer Cafe Internet Services