Re: ESD and gnome-session

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Cory Watson wrote:

> I attempted to compile from source last night, and managed to have no
> major troubles until I got to mc (which would never compile, some
> problems with slang, but Ill figure that out later).  After getting
> everything to my liking, I fired up X using the following .xinitrc:
>
> /usr/bin/enlightenment &
> gnome-session

You shouldn't run enlightenment - gnome-session runs the window manager
based on your configuration options.

> Everything works ok, EXCEPT sound.  ESD is running, but GNOME makes no
> noises!  I have no trouble running XMMS, but GNOME doesnt seem to like
> it. I carefully monitored the compilation of all relevant (at least
> what I _thought_ was relevant) packages for any warnings converning
> ESD or audiofile, and saw none.

If you do 'esdplay foo.wav' does it play the sound back?

> Also, I couldnt get libglade or libgtop to compile, in case it matters:)
> The lack of libgtop required me to hack a few things in other packages to
> get them to compile (like diskfree and such)

Please file bug reports with details for each of these, using the
'gnome-bug' script.
-- Elliot					http://developer.gnome.org/
The first thing a programmer needs to admit is that any program is by far
more complex than his own mind. Thats why he partitions it into neat
pieces and avoids complexity.