Display Problems

I installed Red Hat 6.1 over the weekend , and installed the GNOME flavor of
it.  I changed the runlevel to 5 so that GNOME automatically starts, and I
set up my XF86Config file.  I used the same exact settings that i'd used for
Caldera 2.3 w/ KDE .  However, when i go to GNOME, all the text is blacked
out.  The text is black, and the background behind it is back.  I can get to
GNOME by clicking on icons i can't read, and I can see the iconso n the
desktop and panel fine.  It's just the text.  Does anyone know what could be
causing this?  thanks.

Colin Winters