How do I create a mime-type for files with no extension?

For example, README.  I tried doing this by creating a mime-type and
giving it no extension.  It showed up in the list, so I edited it and
added an application to be associated to it and hit OK.  However, when I
went back into mime-types, my entry didn't appear (and of course gmc
didn't use it when I double-clicked on README).  So I re-created the
same one, and this time gave it a bogus extension.  When it appeared,
the applications I had typed previously were already associated with it.

On similar lines, are there any plans to associate more than one
application with a given file extension (i.e. for Open)?  Or better yet,
how about creating mime-types for a given application that has multiple
extensions associated with it?

Dan