How do I create a mime-type for files with no extension?

How can I do this, so I can open an editor when I double-click on files
with no extension (like README files)?  Also, are there any plans to
associate more than one application with a specified mime-type (i.e. be
able to open a file using more than one application), or better yet, set
up mime-types for a given application that are associated with different
file types?

Dan