Re: the great project manager

* tomas sanchez (tomas@altern.org) wrote:
> hi!
>
> this might be out of place, but this happens to be my only contact with the
> gnu/linux-world.
>
> ok, back to the subject.
>
> --the background
>
> i'm quite new to this with computers and gnu/linux. but i realise that i miss a
> dtp-application. so i thought i'd make one. unfortunally i'm no skilled
> programmer, but i intend to become.
>
> thinking of this dtp-app, i realised that i don't need to make it so narrow. i
> got to the conclusion that i might as well create a project manager. that
> manages projects of a wide variety, for exampel:
>
> - dtp-projects, creating lay-outs for books, magazines, etc
> - programming-projects, like a ide
> - web-projects, like managing a web-site
> - accounting-projects, like keeping accounts for a company
> - etc, etc
>
> ok, with this i mind and browsing the net i found xml, wich seemed perfect for
> me. to keep data for the different projects, etc. what i wonder is therefore:
>
> --the question
> how do i use this xml? i've understood that i need a parser, and some other
> tools. but i don't understand why. can someone here help me out on this or
> direct me to someone who can?

A question well answered on the libxml (AKA gnome-xml) page, and he
has an example xml file and parser to work with a planning-type
application. Sounds like an ideal start for you...

http://rufus.w3.org/veillard/XML/xml.html

(using libxml for reading/writing xml files is childsplay).

Also, xml.com is a handy resource, and this page'll start you off:
http://www.xml.com/pub/98/10/guide0.html

Also, the XML FAQ is very handy:
http://www.ucc.ie/xml/faq.html

And W3C has a good reference point here:
http://www.w3.org/XML/

<plug>
And of course, I use it for my libguide library:
http://www.tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk/libguide.html
</plug>

Tom.

Recently aquainted with XML ;-)