the great project manager

hi!

this might be out of place, but this happens to be my only contact with the
gnu/linux-world.

ok, back to the subject.

--the background

i'm quite new to this with computers and gnu/linux. but i realise that i miss a
dtp-application. so i thought i'd make one. unfortunally i'm no skilled
programmer, but i intend to become.

thinking of this dtp-app, i realised that i don't need to make it so narrow. i
got to the conclusion that i might as well create a project manager. that
manages projects of a wide variety, for exampel:

- dtp-projects, creating lay-outs for books, magazines, etc
- programming-projects, like a ide
- web-projects, like managing a web-site
- accounting-projects, like keeping accounts for a company
- etc, etc

ok, with this i mind and browsing the net i found xml, wich seemed perfect for
me. to keep data for the different projects, etc. what i wonder is therefore:

--the question
how do i use this xml? i've understood that i need a parser, and some other
tools. but i don't understand why. can someone here help me out on this or
direct me to someone who can?

 --
anarchy&love
tomas