db2html quick help

    I was wondering if someone could give me some quick pointers.  I
have grown to hate Docbook, because I'm having so much trouble getting
it to work correctly.  I may have had it working at one point, but now
it gives me what you see below.  I'm starting to read the Docbook
documentation at nwalsh.com, but there's so much information and it's
spread out all over the place.
    I've installed all of the RPMs I could from cygnus (jade and jadetex
wouldn't install because someone made them with a glibc2.1 distro,
unlike the rest of the rpms).  I built jade 1.2.1 from source, and went
through the instructions somewhere (nwalsh.com?) to make sure it was
working correctly.  Here's what I get:

[dev@danlinux C]$ db2html gnome-ppp.sgml
TMPDIR is DBTOHTML_OUTPUT_DIR21277
Using stylesheet: "/usr/lib/sgml/stylesheets/cygnus-both.dsl"

input file was called gnome-ppp.sgml -- output will be in gnome-ppp

working on ../gnome-ppp.sgml
jade:/usr/lib/sgml/stylesheets/nwalsh-modular/html/docbook.dsl:100:69:W:
cannot generate system identifier for public text "-//Norman
Walsh//DOCUMENT DSSSL Library V2//EN"

Right now my SGML_CATALOG_FILE variable points to
/usr/lib/sgml/gnome/sgml.catalog (which is where I put everything from
gtk-doc-extra-0.1, but I've had it set to all kinds of other locations
(including multiple locations).  Can anyone point me in the right
direction?  I'd really like to generate the html files for gnome.

Dan