Clipping Files

The Mac OS has this great (and unsung) feature anything you can select and
cut to the clipboard can instead be dragged and dropped onto the desktop,
when
you do a "clipping" file is created. Then you can drag and drop the clipping
file
and whatever is in the file gets pasted wherever its dropped. Does Gnome
have
anything like this? Is there a Wish list somewhere I can request it to be
done? Does
anyone have an idea how hard it would be to implement?

The hard part is not the pasting because the apps just get a paste event but
apps
have to be modified to allow dragging of selections to the desktop. I tried
with
gnomepad+ and when I clicked on the selection it just started a new
selection.

Sidenote: gnomepad seems awfully slow display of characters lagged
noticeable behind
my typing. Is this normal?