Re: Re: trying to migrate to gnome

Thanks for such a quick reply. Some clarification:

tangent@cyberport.com wrote:

> > 2) I'm using the gnome deskguide. Is there a way to get it to display
> > the names of the icons, rather than just their shape?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here.  My desk guide shows the window titles
> just fine, which is what I guess you mean by "icon names".

I'll check that tonight (I only have this at home). I think I used the
wrong terminology. I have the gnome pager enabled, with the pager and
the iconbox. The pager shows the outlines of the windows, but but not
their names. This looks like the example in the users guide. Someone on
this list mentioned the deskguide - is this another name for the same
thing or something else?

> You're mixing terms.  The panel is part of GNOME.  The icon box
> (float-on-desktop pretty thingy) is part of E16.  Which one are you
> really referring to, and what do you want it to do?

I've switched off the E16 iconbox and pager, i'm using the tasklist that
is part of the gnome pager and lives on the panel. With fvwm2 I can bind
arbitrary actions to the mouse events on these buttons (for example, I
use the middle button to de-iconify the window and move to the correct
desktop).

> > Finally, does a swallowed app have to have any particular properties, or
> > just have to be small enough to fit in the panel?
>
> The panel will size itself to fit the largest applets within.  Most
> applets default to 48 pixels high (or wide, if in vertical mode) so the
> panel is always the same height.
>
> As for swallowing random apps, I have no idea.  Probably not, but it's
> probably not hard to make any given app panel-compatible.

I found http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/gnome-core/panel/APPLET_WRITING
which indicates that applets need to contain hooks into the gtk libs,
which isn't really surprising. Shame - I was hoping to be able to put
procmeter in the panel (and I know there are other system monitors, but
none that I like as much, and none that montitor ethernet as far as I
can see).

Regards,

Chris