Re: trying to migrate to gnome

Chris Rouch wrote:

> 1)      Is there a way to bind mouse buttons to actions? For example in fvwm2
> I have ALT mouse-button-3 set to raise the current window.

If enlightenment can do it, it'll be in
~/.enlightenment/keybindings.cfg.  By default, there is no such thing,
because E uses the system default.  Just copy the system default to your
.enlightenment dir, and change that.

> 2)      I'm using the gnome deskguide. Is there a way to get it to display
> the names of the icons, rather than just their shape?

I'm not sure what you mean here.  My desk guide shows the window titles
just fine, which is what I guess you mean by "icon names".

> 3)      Is it possible to configure the mouse bindings for panel iconbox?

You're mixing terms.  The panel is part of GNOME.  The icon box
(float-on-desktop pretty thingy) is part of E16.  Which one are you
really referring to, and what do you want it to do?

> 4)      Is there a way of forcing applications to start on a particular
> desktop, similar to fvwm2's StartsOnDesk.

Yes.  Start the app up, right-click the app's main window caption bar,
and choose "Remember..."  Then select the options you want it to
remember for that app.  Careful, some apps get confused by this, so that
selecting an item for one window in the app applies to all the app's
windows, including little dialog boxes.  Such apps are broken, but
because they exist, it's important to test your choices.

> Finally, does a swallowed app have to have any particular properties, or
> just have to be small enough to fit in the panel?

The panel will size itself to fit the largest applets within.  Most
applets default to 48 pixels high (or wide, if in vertical mode) so the
panel is always the same height.

As for swallowing random apps, I have no idea.  Probably not, but it's
probably not hard to make any given app panel-compatible.

--
= Warren -- ICBM Address: 36.8274040 N, 108.0204086 W, alt. 1714m