SOLVED(?): october upgrade rpm weirdness?

I ran 'rpm -Uvh *rpm' one more time, and, of course, it returned a list of
packages that were already installed, then quit without installing any of
the other packages.  I simply moved every rpm on the list to another
directory and ran 'rpm -Uvh *rpm' again.  This time all the remaining
packages were installed.

I'll probably follow Gregory's suggestion of rebuilding the rpm database.

Thanx to all who replied to my queries.  I appreciate it.