totally offtopic (was: RE: Simple configuration question...)

True enough, I actually mucked around a bit the the gnome that
shipped with 5.2.  :)  But they had to go break the text mode
installer.

> > that they've mucked with in RPMs and dependancies.  I.E.  You
> > can't installed gnome-core without also installing enlightenment.
> >  I found
>
> Thats allways been the case. 6.0 had the same problem.

Oops, I didn't notice that, because I wasn't using gnome before 6.0
came out.  That really doesn't make sense, since gnome works with
other WMs.

> > redhat 6.0 to be generally less quirky than 6.1, and
> certainly easier
> > to install.  They also removed some of the functionality from
> > their
>
> 6.1 installed perfictly for me the first time.

Well, I still don't have my keyboard map correct, and I've changed it
a couple of times after the install.  For some reason {home} and
{end} no longer work.  :(  It also doesn't do as good a job setting
up X as the last version did, on my MACH64 type card.

> > expert mode install, as well as from their text mode install.
>
> Hmm. I dont know. Maybe. It is posible that there was a
> problem with it
> that they had to remove. Ask the redhat people to see why it
> was removed
> and if they could add it back.

They removed the help!!! You can't get package explanations in text
mode anymore.  That's a really nasty way of moving people over to the
GUI, especially those of use who can't stand 60Hz with a WHITE
screen.  Sorry for the rant,
	Greg