Re: New Gnome User with Problems...

On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 04:29:47PM -0800, Robert Wooldridge wrote:
> I just started using gnome on my Debian system.  I am
> having a few problems:
>
> Conflicts between window manager and gnome.
> Sometimes, gnome background
> comes up and sometimes wm background comes up.

Pick which one you want to manage your background, and disable
background display in the other.  For example, to disable Gnome's,
just select the "Disable background selection" check box in
Control-panel->Background.

>[...]
> On every login, a dialog box appears saying: a panel
> has already been detected,
> do you want to start another one?

Just let gnome-session take care of loading the panel--i.e. don't put
a "panel &" in your .xsession file.  If the panel doesn't show-up on
your next login, start it manually from an xterm and then make sure
your session is saved.

> My .bashrc does not get read when I start an xterm,
> gnome term, or any other
> kind of term.

Bash is weird that way.  I guess Gnome always starts terminals with
the "--login" option, so bash will only read .bash_profile.  The way
I got around this was to put the line:

. .bashrc	# Source the ~/.bashrc file

in my .bash_profile.

HTH,