New Gnome User with Problems...

All,

I just started using gnome on my Debian system.  I am
having a few problems:

Conflicts between window manager and gnome.
Sometimes, gnome background
comes up and sometimes wm background comes up.

Sound does not always initialize.  Rescanning devices
sometimes gets it
working.

On every login, a dialog box appears saying: a panel
has already been detected,
do you want to start another one?

My .bashrc does not get read when I start an xterm,
gnome term, or any other
kind of term.

My system consists of:
- Debian 2.1 with 2.2 pieces
- Latest gnome debs.
- gnome-wm (the gnome compliant WindowMaker) window
   manager

=====
-Bob Wooldridge KC0DXF
-Web Mail: kc0dxf@yahoo.com
-Web: http://www.qsl.net/kc0dxf/
-See Also: http://www.anet-stl.com/~mcsg/
-Via HAM radio repeaters in St. Louis: 146.85, 442.10