Gnome from tarballs on RH6.1, many "quirks"

Well, since after installing the latest RPMs that I could find on the gnome
website I wasn't as up-to-date as I wanted to be, I figured I'd just rip
everything out, and go back to tarballs.  I did that on my 6.0 system, and
it wasn't much of a problem.  First thing to do is to add /usr/local/lib to
/etc/ld.so.conf because redhat doesn't bother to put that in for ya.  Then,
on to compiling, as per the instructions.  I was doing well, I think, up
until I hit imlib.  I have libpng installed from RPM, version 1.0.3-4 (IIRC,
I don't have a mail client on linux so I had to boot to windows).  The imlib
configure script told me that this was missing, which it's not.  It is
confused because it's installed from an RPM and not from source?  The other
thing that it complained about was GTK.  I'd done the GTK+ steps just
minutes/seconds earlier, and run ldconfig afterwards, so I'm not sure why it
was getting confused on this, unless this is a different package.  (GTK vs
GTK+)  Can somebody give me a hand so that I can get out of windows, and
back into gnome?  Thanks,
	Greg