Re: Help getting gnome up on Caldera...

Todd Chapman wrote:

> Thanks to Paul and Elliot for thier replies.  On a follow-up though, I
> currently have my system configured in /etc/inittab to run kdm (KDE's login
> manager).  The docs for that said that I needed to enter 'startkde' in my
> .xsession file.  When I changed that to 'exec gnome-session', I still ended
> up in KDE.  Would you advise that rather than use kdm, I use xdm?  Or is
> there another file (global in nature) that I should be adding 'exec
> gnome-session' to or referencing the use of my .xsession file with?
>
> Todd

What does your .xinitrc file look like? Some distributions, mine
included, have a script in .xinitrc that looks for an exec in .Xclients.
If you want to
have the option or switching between Gnome and KDE on startup, a script
like this can be useful.

Look in .xinitrc for references to KDE or to .Xclients. IF you find any,
there is your problem. You can comment them out and add exec
gnome-session, and it should start gnome.