Re: generic cut-n-paste options in any program

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Sri Ramkrishna wrote:

> I think it would be great if in any gnome application we can highlight
> any test and launch it as a URL.  Do you think it would make sense to
> be able to do that?  Or should that be a purely application by
> application basis? I suppose most things don't need to launch a URL
> but you never know.
>
> The idea came up when I was reading news from Pan, and wanted to
> launch a URL that was in one of hte messages but I couldn't highlight
> it and launch it directly.

First you would have to define a standard API for selecting text and
exporting that selection.

Alternatively, you could turn the zvt match stuff into a library that can
be used by other widgets.

This URL-grabbing feature would be nice to have, though.
-- Elliot
for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.