generic cut-n-paste options in any program

I think it would be great if in any gnome application we can highlight any
test and launch it as a URL.  Do you think it would make sense to be able
to do that?  Or should that be a purely application by application basis?
I suppose most things don't need to launch a URL but you never know.

The idea came up when I was reading news from Pan, and wanted to launch a
URL that was in one of hte messages but I couldn't highlight it and launch
it directly.

	sri