Re: several problems/queries

> Ben Michie wrote:
>
> I've got several problems/queries so heres the first one.
>
> I recentely tried to install the "latest" gnome [all of the ones
> available] packages for my suse system but i'm not too confident that
> they were installed, so is there anyway to check the version number
> [also what is the version number of the "latest" gnome thingy]?

I assume you used rpms. type "rpm -q packagename". E.g. to check for
gnlibs-1.0.53.i386.rpm type "rpm -q gnlibs".

> I've also been trying to update enlightenment but i keep on getting
> the same [well similar] error all the time, the error is as follows

> checking host system type... i586-pc-linux-gnuoldld
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no
> Configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

The configure skript tells you that it is unable to find a C compiler.
If you really want to compile for yourself install one from the
development series on the CD.

> The reason why i've been trying to update enlightment is so i can fix
> a rather strange problem i have were the windows are lacking any thing
> to move, close or iconize and they are also [usually] forced up to the
> top-left hand corner, any1 have any thoughts on this.

Enlightenment is alright, in fact it isn't even running yet. It is an as
of now still unsolved problem in gnome. Please go to Foot-menu on the
panel, select "Configuration" and "Gnome Control Center". The Gnome
Control Center should appear in the top left corner. Select the
"Windowmanager" section, select a windowmanager of those listed.

> The last thing is just a query, i've noticed that you can get back to
> the main console [the place b4 x is activated] by pressing ctrl + alt
> + F? but i can't get back in any1 know how to do this?

ctrl+alt+F[1-6] takes you to a console.
ctrl+alt+F7 takes you to the X-server if one is running.
ctrl+alt+F10 takes you to a screen with log messages from the kernel