Re: RPM for gnome-libs 1.0.54?

Paul G Cooper wrote:

 > gnome-libs-1.0.54 isn't even out yet - what is released is a test version
 > that will become 1.0.54 provided there aren't any horrible bugs. As such
 > it should be considered for developers and experienced testers only. Hence
 > only in tar.gz. form.
 >
 > If there are too many development/testing things out there in rpm form
 > then if they have bugs it can damage our reputation and cause the list to
 > be deluged (alot of the time with not very helpful messages).

I see what you're saying.  I'd still think you'd want to make it was
accessible as possible, so more people test it, as long as you put big
notices saying "DANGER!  DANGER!"  :)  But I understand the reasoning.

 > Since 1.0.0 it has been real easy to get the latest stable release via
 > rpm.

This is very true.  Thank you to all the people that have been making this
possible...

 > Just be patient and the 1.0.54 will be out in rpm form when it's ready.

I'm in no rush.  This whole discussion started because I had two questions:
why weren't RPMs always provided, and why isn't the info on converting
tarballs to RPM easily accessible.  My first question was more out of
concern over the days when you had to wait several days or weeks for RPMs
to come out, and as noted, this isn't really the case.  You have just
answered why this isn't done recently for "test version" packages.

Raul