Re: really odd problem

> From: Elliot Lee <sopwith@redhat.com>
>
> You should have just "exec gnome-session" in the file - gnome-session
> takes care of starting your window manager, which is set in the control
> panel.

I have compiled Gnome from source and installed it over a RedHat
system.  It mostly works, but there are still some old config
files that I can't delete.  I'm still playing with it, but right
now I have no control panel.

Where is the window manager really stored?  I tried editing
a file called 'default_wm' in ~/.gnome, but it just started
the old WM and overwrote the file with the old data.  There
must be a file somewhere that stores this info.

In general, it seems that screwing up the config files can lead
to segfaults.  It would probably help Gnome stability a lot
if someone systematically buggered up config files and made
sure the results are helpful error messages.

Is there documentation on the order in which directories
are searched, and the contents of *.desktop, .guile, and
other things of that ilk?

--
     -- Keith Wright  <kwright@free-comp-shop.com>

Programmer in Chief, Free Computer Shop <http://www.free-comp-shop.com>