RE: Compiling gnome-core 1.10 and gdk-pixbuf problems (different!)

I linked the gdk-pixbuf libs into /usr/lib (where gnome-core is located,
thanks!) and gnome-core compiled! The bad news is, when I start GNOME, the
old version that came with RH 6.1 showed up. I uninstalled the 1.0.39
version of gnome-core and recompiled the 1.1.0 version. When I started GNOME
back up, GMC started, the help system started, but the panel segfaulted and
wouldn't start. I tried using gdb but I couldn't figure out how to use it.

I've decided to start over again with a fresh install of Redhat. Is there an
order I should install stuff in? For example, should I install October GNOME
before compiling or uninstall gnome-core-1.0.39 and then compile? Does order
matter at all? Of course, I could always use the RPMS, but what do I learn
out of that? Could someone explain why before I uninstalled the 1.0.39
version of gnome-core GNOME started with the old version?

Thanks to all that helped, sorry for all those endless stupid newbie
questions

Gerry Chu
gerrychu@bigfoot.com

<!---NOTE TO SELF: find witty proverb to go here---->