Re: File manager tree.

On 31 May 1999, Preben Randhol wrote:

> bob@kehs.ksd.org writes:
>
> | Sometimes you NEED to be root to do some things. Rather than tell people
> | to never use root and bug them with anoying messages, tell them that "it
> | is unsafe to play with root unless they know what they are doing." Since I
> | know, for the most part, what I am doing as root, I would verry mutch like

I would think that a wise user would just tinker with the source
a bit to turn the message off if it was too annoying.

> Yes, but most Linux-newbies will use it as if it was Window95 and
> never create an account for themselves. Unless they read the docs.
>
> The solution is simple. As one said earlier.
>
> Have a small checkbutton with a label like this:
>
> [ ] I know what I am doing, so please don't show this warning next time.

Reminds me of a piece of shareware I once used. Had a nag
message and a button next to it:

[ ] I have already paid

Everyone I knew just clicked the little button and never
paid. Philosophy aside, I think you get the idea.

Regards,

Tim