Re: File manager tree.

walters.159@osu.edu writes:

| I agree with this in general, but does this mean that we expect people to
| pop up a terminal and su to do any sort of system work?  If one of the goals
| of GNOME is to avoid the terminal as much as possible, that error message
| is kind of contradictory.

Yes of course one should expect a user to su to root and not run the
gmc as root so that he can do whatever he wants with the whole file
system at any time. Just as one would expect him to su to root to
install rpm packages. But a user should not su to root when writing a
document or doing a spreadsheet etc...

GNOME should not be a project to abolish the terminal as that IMHO
would be brain dead. Shells are the best tool one have, and one of the
powers of Unices over Macs and Windows.

It is not contradictory at all. GNOME is not an effort to break down
security.

--
Preben Randhol                              iEmacs is the best editor<ESC>
[randhol@pvv.org] 	                    0cwVI(m)<ESC>