RE: Very Nasty Gnome bug

> removed :-(, I got out of gnome because of other stuff I was working on.
> When I restarted X, gnome complained about another panel running and did I
> still want to start it.  I said no.  Bad choice.  Now I had no
> panel at all.

Type 'panel&' in a terminal window to start the panel, and after that, it
should appear the next time you start gnome.

> No place at all in which the user can get out of gnome.  Oops, dumb, real
> dumb.  The default configuration of gnome MUST have another way to get out
> if the panel is not there, or a menu option to restart the panel.  Either
> way, the user is fucked.

You can always press ctl-alt-bs to kill X. Maybe not the solution you are
asking for though...

Another way is to type 'save-session --kill' in a terminal window. That
would be the same as using the panel to logout.

Richard